This item has been shown 35 times.
- IMPORTANT 1908 Samuel Gompers SIGNED Letter -- GRAPHIC “American Federation of Labor” Letterhead -- Regarding the Creation of a NEW Department of Labor -
IMPORTANT, typed-letter SIGNED by SAMUEL GOMPERS, as PRESIDENT of the “American Federation of Labor”. Letter is TWO separate pages in length, on the illustrated letterhead of the AFL, and addressed to the Honorable William Sulzer in Washington D.C., who was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York. Sulzer was also the 39th NY Governor.
Letter is dated March 24th 1908, with SUPERB labor movement CONTENT – referencing the creation of a “NEW” Department of Labor with a Secretary in the President’s cabinet, as well as Gompers potential interest in becoming the FIRST Labor Secretary.
Letter reads in full, “Dear Sir: Enclosed please find letter which I have written regarding your bill for the creation by Congress of a Department of Labor, with the Secretary as member of the President’s cabinet. The letter is addressed to the Committee, and forwarded to you as per your request, so that you may hand it in to the Committee. I trust that it may be helpful in accomplishing the desired purpose. In connection with this subject matter let me say, that it has come to me that some of your friends have, in conversations, connected my name with the secretaryship of the projected Department of Labor. Without discussing my own desires on the subject, you can readily understand that if such a notion became general, it would give the opponents to the measure the opportunity of conveying the impression that my only reason in supporting the measure would be to secure the position. It should not be necessary for me to say that I know of no position on earth that I would exchange for the honor and the love of the work connected with the office of the President of the American Federation of Labor, but this fact or assurance would have little weight with those who would designedly misrepresent me and my work. I kindly ask you to bring this to the attention of the gentlemen whose names will come to you without my mentioning them here. Very truly yours, Sam’l Gompers (SIGNED) President American Federation of Labor”.
I have collected the autographs of American LABOR leaders and Knights of Labor items for almost 30 years. While I have owned a few dozen Gompers signed letters during that time and examined many more, this is the finest Samuel Gompers letter in my collection.
SAMUEL GOMPERS (1850 – 1924) was one of America’s most important and influential, early LABOR UNION leaders. He founded the “American Federation of Labor” (AFL), a national organization comprised of various labor unions across the United States. Gompers was the FIRST President of the AFL and served as almost continuously until his death in 1924, with the exception of one year (1894 – 95) when John McBride was elected President.
CONDITION: the letter’s two individual pages measure about 8 3/8 x 10 ¾ inches in size EACH and are in EXCELLENT original condition. Both pages have two horizontal mailing folds but NO rips / tears or fold splits. There are also two tiny staple holes in the upper left corner on each page (see scans). The signature / autograph of SAMUEL GOMPERS is guaranteed authentic. $15 for shipping, postage & INSURANCE. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. PLEASE READ: I have been buying + selling American historical autographs & documents for over 30 years and a former member of both the “Manuscript Society” and the UACC. We ship everything INSURED (thru the USPS) with a value over $50. This helps us know that the item you took the time to purchase arrived safely. We have not had a package turn up lost in over 25 years, though one package went rogue about 15 years ago but eventually turned up. Packages are shipped out within 1 – 3 business days, but typically the next day. Please understand, we do not make any money on shipping costs, but rather run a deficit over the course of a year. Most people don’t realize that and paypal deduct a total of 13% from my stated shipping charges (leaving me 87% of that amount for actual postage + insurance). Everything we sell is packaged with the utmost care. Please read my response over the last 20 years. The comments are often – the best packaging I have ever seen, “bullet proof” packaging, etc.