This item has been shown 64 times.
VERY RARE, ORIGINAL MID-19TH CENTURY MANUSCRIPT / PRINTED LEDGER FROM KANSASNAMELY WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP OF WASHINGTON COUNTY, KANSAS.
FOUNDED ONLY A DECADE PRIOR, THIS LEDGER CONTAINS NAMES OF IMPORTANT TOWN OFFICIALS, EARLY PIONEERS, AND PROMINENT MEN, AND LISTS SERVICES, GOODS AND FEES PAID
DATES FROM 1877 TO THE EARLY 1900s
+WILD WEST / KANSAS LEDGERS/MANUSCRIPTS FROM THIS EARLY ARE VERY HARD TO FIND++Fabulous handwritten volume contains 100s of pages of entries chronicling the growth of Washington Township in Washington County, Kansas. Along with mentioning the names of various citizens, it chronicles work such as building and maintaining bridges, blacksmithing, laying roads, timber and lumber work, as well as various costs for goods and services associated with these. The content is priceless for early Kansas history, demonstrating a view into the heart of Indian country in the Wild West of the 1870s and 1880s.
Washington county was one of the first 33 counties organized by the Territorial Legislature, but was not organized until April 9, 1860. Founded by David E. Ballard; Blanch Campbell; and G. C. Pierce, Washington County contains the cities of Barnes, Clifton (part), Vining (part), Hollenberg, Gerardi, Greenleaf, Haddam, Hanover, Lanham, Linn, Morrowville, Palmer, Mahaska, Spence and Washington. The county was named for George Washington. The Oregon Trail passed through the northwest portion of the county assisting in making the area known to settlers, and establishing some businesses in the county. The Pony Express route came through the northwest portion of the county in 1860-1861, roughly following the Oregon Trail route. Washington County Courthouse and most of Washington was destroyed by a tornado on July 4, 1932. The Washington Methodist Church, established in 1861, was the first in the county. The first school district was organized in Charleston (no longer exists) in 1864. Washington County contains two interesting sites, the Pony Express Station in Hanover, and the Old Jail in Haddam.
Bound in a fantastic period leather ledger with a ticket from Topeka, Kansas partially remaining on the upper pastedown; the spine with dual gilt printed labels remaining, "Trustee Records," and "Washington Township." Marbled endpapers; each leaf with printed pages for Township Trustee "Record of All Accounts and Demands, Verified by Affidavit, Against Township, for which Orders have Been Drawn." Additional printed sections at the rear for "Township Officers' Individual Accounts for Services, Etc." In remarkable shape inside and out. As shown, measures 12" x 9.5".